Sunday 16 June 2013

The Day I Caught the Bus

I'm getting the bus back home after a reasonably late night. As I ascend to the top deck there she sits. Blonde (oh!), glasses (ah!) and reading a book (oh my!). Obviously there is a connection here, although at this point she seems unaware of it. I proceed to adopt my best ‘romantic-bus-loner' character (lots of meaningful looks into middle distance and general brooding) and the courting begins, she still seems to be somewhat oblivious.

As we travel along I become aware that the window next to me is vibrating, making a loud and generally unpleasant noise - here is my chance. By placing my hand on the window and exerting a small but not unimpressive amount of force I can silence it, when I release my hand the noise returns. The power is intoxicating.

As the noise subsides she looks over. There I sit, perspiration marks my brow as a result of my efforts; I nod my head towards her. "This is for you," my posture communicates "continue to read uninterrupted thanks to my sacrifice." I'm not saying I deserve some kind of medal or trophy but was one to be offered I'd be happy to accept.

Still seemingly oblivious of our connection she leaves at the next stop. As I take my hand away the window's noise seems to contain a mocking edge that it didn't have before, luckily a swift push shuts it up again.

No comments:

Post a Comment