Tuesday 27 May 2014

My Holiday Diary - Part 3, The Beauty and the Baron

I'm no stranger to affairs of the heart, in my short life I've know both the ecstasy and agony of love many times. As a data analyst, my work takes me all over West Yorkshire and I find that women are naturally drawn to a man with a solid grasp on the advance functions of Microsoft Excel. I've been blessed to meet many beautiful and intelligent ladies and I, in turn, have blessed them with my presence. When I journeyed to the Island of Wight a union of souls was the farthest thing from my mind, I should have learned from my previous experiences. If it can, the heart will find a way, against its wishes we are but pawns, to be moved and sacrificed at its whim.

Following my encounter on the beach I had two objectives. One was to uncover the identity of the Reaper and discover their intentions towards me. Secondly and more importantly, I needed a drink. Stopping briefly at my lodge to get dressed I began the journey into town. It was clear that the locals were unaccustomed to the style intricacies of the modern man and my appearance garnered much attention as I made my way through the streets.

Given my previous experience with the island's inhabitants I had expected some hostility, as such I had tried to tone down my appearance, wearing my most conservative cravat and only a single monocle. The damning looks and barely muttered insults I received told me that further concessions to the local's sensibilities would be required. It was with a grim sense of foreboding that I noticed that not only was I surrounded but that the people nearest seemed to start drawing closer to me, attempting to hem me in

I realised that to avoid a further confrontation I needed to get off the streets, I looked around and saw a sign for 'The Folly Inn' promising the 'Warmist welcum on the Island'. I ran towards the door and as I entered, realised that not only was the sign misspelled but the promise it made was far from true.

The tavern was dimly lit by a single bulb, unshaded, hanging perilously from some exposed wires in the ceiling and the air was thick with pipe smoke. Despite this I could still make out enough to see that every occupant of the room had turned to stare at the unwelcome presence who had dared intrude on their territory. I was trapped, despite the almost palpable hostility in the pub I could not head back outside and so I made my way slowly towards the bar.

The barman seemed intent on ignoring my presence, instead focusing on the hopeless task of cleaning a dirty glass with an even dirtier rag.

"A double gin and a small bottle of tonic, my good sir." I offered as a means to break the tension.

You may consider it a strange drink request but I've found the combination of the two elements make for a potent restorative. I have already made several patent requests and It is my ambition to make the benefits of the 'Tonic and Gin' known the world over.

"Sorry, sir." The man replied, managing to pronounce the word sir and yet avoiding to convey any of the respect the word should imply "Outta gin, outta tonic. Outta luck you might say." He snorted loudly at his own fumbling attempt at humour.

"You might find what I'm after if you put down that damn glass and bothered to look for it." I replied hotly, my patience, not my strongest attribute at the best of times, pushed to breaking point by the day's events.

"And you might find yourself regretin' it if you don't get outta here sharpish." He snarled, slamming the glass onto the bar.

I clenched my fists tightly, righteous indignation burning fiercely in the pit of my stomach. As I prepared to deliver a cutting retort a voice broke in from a corner of room.

"Easy, Frank. Give the man what he wants. If I'm any judge the Reaper has this one marked. Let him enjoy himself, whilst he still can"

Through the cloying miasma I could barely discern the identity of the speaker. We stared at each other for a moment and there was a flash of white as he gave a broad grin and a drew a silver-tipped cane slowly across his throat. I began to move towards him but was gripped tightly on the arm. I turned to confront my latest adversary.

"Please sir. No more more trouble. Let's find you a table and I'll bring you your drinks."

I had no idea where she had emerged from but I was convinced she hadn't been there a moment ago, how could I have missed a vision such as she? I allowed her to lead me to a nearby table, casting my glance back towards the mystery speaker I saw him finish his drink before making a comment which caused much merriment amongst his companions, I couldn't help feeling the joke was made at my expense. He then stood and briskly strode towards the exit, scarlet cloak billowing in his wake.

"Try and ignore the Baron." The lady said "He's a dangerous man to get on the wrong side of."

Her concern touched me.

"Don't worry about me." I replied " I've met his like before, overflowing with arrogance and pride but consisting little of anything of real worth."

She smiled briefly, an act which stirred feelings in me I had thought long buried.

"I'll get you your drinks." She said and made her way back to the bar.

This was dangerous territory. Hostile locals and a supernatural fiend I could deal with but a beautiful woman? There was a real threat. I looked up I heard her approach. Her short, black hair fell messily across a set of glasses slightly too thick to beg considered fashionable but all the more appealing because of it.

"We'll, here's your drinks." She announced. No idea what you're going to do with them though."

"Just this." I replied and she looked on in amazement as I poured the tonic into the gin glass.

"You see." I said, finishing the process "Two separate entities, both exquisite individually but their true beauty can only be found in an uninhibited embrace. Care to try it?"

She blushed, momentarily lost for words.

"The drink I mean, of course." I reassured her, offering the glass.

"Thank you" she replied. As she took a large sip the smile reappeared but just as quickly it disappeared and she grabbed my hand.

"You've got to help me." She spoke quickly, fearfully now "It's clear you're not from the Island, so I need to ask you a favour."

"Anything." I replied.

"When you leave" she looked around the room for eavesdroppers and lowered her voice to a whisper. "Please, take me with you."

I was taken aback. I had no idea how I would accomplish such a deed nor how I'd accommodate her in Leeds but at that moment, enraptured as I was, I'd promise anything.

"Have no fear," I said " I leave this island with you or never at all."

She breathed a heavy sigh of relief. " I'll hold you to that, don't disappoint me now."

"Don't worry about that." As I said, taking a sip of my drink " I've never left a woman disappointed in my life."

She smiled again, the third time in as many minutes.
























No comments:

Post a Comment